This weekend finally feels like summer! Since I turned my dissertation in Thursday, I've relaxed, went tubing and to the Tap Room in San Marcos on Friday, went hiking this morning at the green belt followed by a cherry lime slushie, and tomorrow am going to a barbeque! Yummy, relaxing weekend to make me feel human again. And to top it off, we just had our first summer salad 100% grown in our backyard.
It's Armenian and bush slicer cucumbers, cherry tomato, early girl tomato, white bermuda onion, and a little basil, salted and left to sit for about 15 minutes to get the juices going. Yum! I love the bush slicer cucumber. I was amazed at how sweet the early girl tomato was and how mild the onion was raw. Hopefully this is first of a lot of salads to come, although I am concerned with as hot as it's been the tomatoes may stop setting fruit.
From left to right: sweet potatoes, leeks, strawberries. The sweet potatoes keep growing, I am hoping the leeks will be ready soon, and the strawberries keep putting out a few berries.
We are getting our first green beans! A little later than we hoped, since we had to replant after something ate all the seedlings.
Our first summer squash! Right now it's about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, a flying saucer squash. It can get up to 4" but I plan on eating it by the end of the week.
Nice view of the flying saucer and bush slicer plants.
Baby bush slicer cucumbers.
A violet jasper tomato ripening. This is the second one that's ripened. It was the size of a large cherry tomato but tasted more like a regular tomato to me.
View of our tomatoes. They seem pretty happy right now.
The okra seedlings are growing slowly.
Harvest as of last post (3 weeks ago):
7 heads of garlic
2 carrots
1 cup snow peas (it's been too hot, they are petering out and we are letting the last stay on for seed)
15 cherry tomatoes (small fry and sweet million)
1 each- roma, early girl, and violet jasper tomatoes
1/4 cup strawberries
3/4 lb white bermuda onions (they did not grow as large as expected, but are very tasty)
1 bush slicer cucumber
1 (small) Armenian cucumber
No comments:
Post a Comment